My friend surprised me this weekend with two containers of Ciao Bella Coconut “Sorbetto” from Kings Food Markets. For a limited time they were offering BOGO ice cream (the BOGO dates are from 7/14-7/20) and I couldn’t resist to try a small bite. I was in the middle of baking my blueberry crumble dessert and adding the coconut sorbet with some pistachios totally made the recipe more delicious.
- 18 oz fresh blueberries (5 cups)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 5 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 5 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp wheat bran
- pint of ice cream or “sorbetto” from Kings Food Markets
- pistachios (if desired)
1. Heat oven to 350F with the rack in center position. Coat 8″ x 12″ x 2″ baking dish with baking spray (with flour).
2. Toss blueberries with lime juice in the prepared dish. Stir together 2 Tbsp of the flour and 1 Tbsp of the sugar and toss with the berries to combine.
3. Stir together oats, baking powder, cinnamon, remaining 3 Tbsp flour, 3 Tbsp wheat bran, and 4 Tbsp sugar, and a pinch of salt. Coarsely chop 3 Tbsp of the almonds and stir into the dry ingredients. Add butter and rub it in with fingers or cut in with a pastry blender until its crumbly.
4. Sprinkle over blueberries.
5. Bake until golden brown and the mixture is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let it cool slightly and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsps of sliced almonds before serving.
6. Cut into 9-12 small portions and top it off with a spoon of ice cream or sorbet. Sprinkle it with chopped pistachios if desired.
The tart fruit (blueberries with lemon juice) and the combination of the sorbet with toasted almonds and pistachios added an extra flavor totally making this dessert extra delicious!